Gravity IT Resources
Job title: Principal QA Automation Engineer
Job Type: Direct Hire
Location: Chicago IL
Work Authorization: US Citizen or Green Card Holder preferred; may consider sponsoring visas
Referral Fee: +/- $3000
Our Client is looking for an experienced Principal QA Engineer / Software Test Automation Architect who will be responsible for the overall test automation strategy, tools, technology and process for the company’s software solutions. This role is instrumental in defining the approach to Software Test Automation.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience in both Mobile, Web and Services automation testing, including an appreciation of the different technological solutions that are applicable, both through open source and Enterprise solutions. This role will establish metrics, mentor Software Engineers in Test, provide technical leadership and act as the most senior QA individual contributor leading the development of test automation strategy. This is not a managerial role and responsibilities do not include staff line management.
- Recommend, lead and continuously improve the architecture and technical direction of functional and performance tests. Advance product quality via testing innovations and process improvement.
- Define core tools, frameworks and testing technologies to be used for testing Android client and Java Microservices projects.
- Develop strategy and lead the integration of automation with the company’s CI/CD/build pipelines.
- Lead QA automation efforts in developing robust and replicable test coverage for all products.
- Create, document, and implement requirements for the automation of manual test plans, scripts, and test harnesses.
- Lead technology evaluations and RFPs for automation solutions
- Where appropriate integrate automation reporting with defect management systems
- Coordination of the overall testing infrastructure including test data and test environments.
- Architect, design and maintain the testing framework, testing tools, testing environment and testing standard across enterprise applications.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects & Developers in designing testable applications.
- Resolve technical issues, anticipate risks and ensure timely management escalation.
- Ensure compliance to automation framework, standards & best practices.
- Facilitate automated, on-demand test automation metrics. Prepare quality documentation and reporting
- Partner with Software Engineers and Software Engineers in Test to devise automation and test strategies including test cases development to drive the software development process towards quality-centric methodologies. Conduct test design reviews with Software Engineers in Test.
- Mentor and guide Software Engineers in Test of all levels
What We Need
- 12+ years overall experience in software engineering and QA roles
- 8+ years of experience in Java Software and development.
- 8+ years of working with AWS cloud hosted applications and services
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, demonstrating experience in scalable software design and development with a proven track record of technical achievements
- 4+ years of experience working with CI/CD tools (e.g. Jenkins, CircleCI, related technologies) and processes (g. GitFlow).
- 4+ years of experience developing, testing and/or integrating applications in a DevOps/Continuous Integration/Deployment environment using Jenkins, including Cloud deployments
- 2+ years of experience setting up the automation model at an enterprise level for web based applications and web services.
- Significant experience in testing RESTful APIs and applicable tooling (e.g. Postman, JMeter)
- MSc in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in Android device testing and test framework e.g. Selenium, Appium
- Expertise in performance testing / load testing.
- Experience in multi-tiered, complex system design & architecture.
- Proficiency in test data and environment management including on-demand environment creation and configuration for test purposes.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Deep experience in both Mobile, Web and Services automation testing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences about goals, resource needs, timelines, and options.
- Good knowledge of SDLC and Agile practice.