Gravity IT Resources
Develop and maintain familiarity with current and future products and processes; investigate and maintain expertise with welding technologies and developments; utilize this knowledge to evaluate, improve, recommend, and implement welding processes for the purpose of reducing costs and improving product and process quality and reliability. Provides assistance to less experienced personnel.
Summary of essential job functions
- Develop welder requirements and designs as required for quoting new business.
- Specify, source, and implement welding process equipment, development of preventative maintenance programs for plant welding equipment; establish data for proper process parameters; adjustment and spare parts requirements for welding equipment.
- Develop and maintain a Plant Welding Standards Manual for the purpose of providing operational guidelines, directing, and coordinating improvements for products and process design. Manual to include operational guidelines, process parameters, process theory, PM, quality control, troubleshooting, material and product limitations, etc…
- Remain current with new technologies for the purpose of incorporating improvements in welding process.
- Develop and maintain inventories of plant welding equipment. Direct areas for improvements and process development.
- Work with product design personnel to assure manufacturability of designs.
- Develop justification for the purchase of new production equipment that will meet budgetary requirements and maintain a competitive position.
- Apply technical knowledge to recommend processes and equipment applicable to the metal manufacturing requirements.
- Utilize cut and etch equipment to optimize welding process parameters.
- Update welding equipment specifications.
- Develop and conduct in house welding training program for the purpose of insuring proper welding techniques are utilized throughout plant operations.
- Utilize methods of continuous improvement.
- Stop production if defective or unsafe parts or conditions appear.
- Other duties assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Leads root cause analysis in the resolution of any test failures. Reviews and approves the analysis with the appropriate engineering management resources to resolve and particularly difficult problems. Ensure the appropriate management teams are brought in for any potential safety concern.
- Assist in evaluation of reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to affect continual improvement in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Prepare cost estimates. Plan and execute engineering changes.
- Prioritize and complete multiple tasks as scheduled with minimal supervision and work overtime as needed (daily, weekends, shutdown, etc…)
- Identify and record any problems relating to product, process and quality systems.
- Initiate, recommend, and provide solutions through designated channels and then verify implementation of solutions to problems.
- Responsible to process and document problem solving methodologies, such as 8D, 5Y and Fishbone Diagrams.
- A Bachelor degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience.
- At least three (3) years in the weld engineering function that displays progressive work-related skill, knowledge, or experience in a fast-paced, high volume manufacturing environment is required. Preferably with an OEM or Tier I/II supplier in the automotive environment.
- Strong computer skills, including but not limited to, Microsoft Software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Knowledge of Welding processes and procedures