Gravity IT Resources
Title: Release Engineer
The Release Engineer is responsible for the health and operation of Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) tools and platforms within our organization. This role will be critical in optimizing our team's development and release practices. The Release Engineer with emphasis on releases and CI/CD using Azure DevOps (Microsoft TFS) takes responsibility for business applications and shared platforms availability / readiness throughout their lifecycle.
- Maintains the Azure DevOps source control and Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) platform for developers, testers and deployers. Compiles and assembles software through source code and store tools in source control.
- Serves as the active driver for Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) based application development. Implements CI/CD solutions for release analysts and application development team.
- Develops, scales, and controls strategies, standards, guidelines, and governance of Continuous Integration systems. Designs, proposes, and facilitates organizational/process improvements for supporting automation and Azure DevOps. Collaborates with others for analysis, evaluations along with design options and execute process improvement.
- Researches and creates build packages/automation for deployment, and educates project teams towards integrating such solutions. Works collaboratively with application and infrastructure teams to establish a build schedule and initiate a packaging and build process.
- Coordinates production/non-production code and system changes. Deploys changes to production for designated systems. Measures the success and failures of those changes.
- Acts as the escalation/coordination point for incidents and responds promptly to automated test and build issues. Corrects build errors by working with application development engineers. Works with release analysts, application and infrastructure to debug and resolve identified issues.
- Coordinates Disaster Recovery and compliance activities across the team.
- Provides feedback to management regarding development and engineering methodologies, standards and leading practices.
- Writes and maintains software documentation.
- Collaborates with internal development and QA teams to help ensure end-to-end quality. Adheres to guidelines for Incident, Problem, and Change Management.
- Minimum five years of application or process support experience.
- Vendor or industry standard certifications in applicable specialty or related technology areas desirable.
- Previous experience with automated build and release systems.
- Experience managing, debugging and improving build systems.
- Talented in implementing CI/CD piplelines/solutions and Source Control using Azure DevOps or Git.
- Strong skill set on automated packaging/integrated automated function, performance tests, and deployment of infrastructure and applications via TFS/Azure DevOps pipelines.
- General Understanding of Database operations and concepts: SQLServer, Mongo.
- Proficient with SQL and stored procedures.
- Knowledge of Application Programming Interfaces (REST / SOAP / Bulk / etc).
- General understanding of Network components and Active Directory.
- General understanding of Cloud portals and resources: Azure DevOps / AWS.
- General understanding of Linux and Windows command line and Operating systems.
- Scripting using Powershell or Bash.
- Monitoring Tools like NewRelic, Solar Winds, Dynatrace, others
- Delivery methodologies like Agile or Kanban using VSTS or Jira tools.
- Logging and Observability tools: Elastic / Kibana.
- Demonstrates analytical and systematic approach to problem solving.
- Communicates fluently orally and in writing and can present complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experiennce in technical writing and cross training.
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team structure, but also independently.
- Effective organizational skills to plan, schedule and monitor work activities in order to meet time and quality targets.
- Ability to meet deadlines, with demonstrable productivity.