Gravity IT Resources
The IT E-Business Center of Excellence Senior Platform Engineer manages processes and technologies that enable business value by delivering high quality software at speed and scale. This position focuses on standardized platforms that are built and managed via automation. This role is responsible for the design, configuration, automation implementation, and support of web solutions in a global environment. The Senior Engineer maintains current or near current levels of software, patches, features, and configurations for the IT systems. This position provides documentation across the multiple environments and cross-trains team members on supported technologies. This role supports project teams in delivering new capabilities to our customers. Team members focus on operational excellence, innovation, delivery, and organizational learning.
Strategy & Planning
- Support management in the implementation of long-term strategic goals for technologies and related products in conjunction with business requirements.
- Support technology platforms in conjunction with business owners and department managers.
- Work with development staff to implement architectures, tuning/coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Assist with the design and implementation of redundant systems, policies, and procedures for backup/recovery, disaster recovery, monitoring, alerting and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Assist with the creating of plans for evaluating through implementing new software versions, technology, and processes.
- Develop planning efforts for capacity and scalability planning.
- Collaborate with other engineers to align solutions across platforms.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Support Management in ensuring the quality of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Implement software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Assist with feasibility studies for system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings, where required.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Collaborate with analysts, designers, and system owners in the testing of software programs and applications.
- Participate in server lifecycle management.
- Upgrade/migrate technology versions.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification, or disclosure.
- Assist with the design, engineering, configuration, operation and maintenance of secure and scalable internet/intranet hardware and software infrastructure that serve eCommerce, CMS and other Enterprise Scale applications
- Document installation and configuration standards of applications and software packages implemented in team’s Knowledge Base.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues affecting the hardware and software infrastructure.
- Develop and perform automated controlled deployments of digital assets between development, quality assurance and production environments.
- Tune web and application server performance in conjunction with Application Performance Management team.
- Plan and complete projects based on high-level requirements with minimal or no guidance.
- Perform activities in support of a 24×7 global support model for production environments.
- Monitor servers, applications, integrations, and websites.
- Assist with disaster planning/mitigation/recovery implementation.
- Assist with various projects as may be required to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
- Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
- Attend meetings with software developers and business users on behalf of team.
- Minimal travel, up to 5% may be required.
- Work outside the standard office 7.5-hour workday may be required.
Formal Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology field of study (e.g., Information Technology, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Computer Systems Management, Mathematics) or equivalent experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years IT experience.
- 2+ years’ experience with Application Servers or similar installation and performance tuning.
- 2+ years working with web-based architecture and concepts including SSL, Domains, DNS Content delivery networks.
- 2+ years’ experience with automation and deployment tools (Ruby, Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, Github Actions).
- 2+ years’ experience building or managing cloud solutions for application implementation.
- 2+ years hands on experience working with Kubernetes and container orchestration.
- Understand concepts of security related tooling and scanning (Web Application Firewall, SAST, DAST).
- Working knowledge of Apache based Webserver, or Nginx.
- Understanding of DNS, TCP/IP, load balancing and network concepts.
- Understanding and familiarity with linux or *nix operating systems.
- Experience with task automation via scripting.
- Understanding or experience breaking down work in manageable pieces for more junior team members.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Enterprise Content Management System experience.
- AWS or other cloud experience
- Understanding of Infrastructure as Code approaches to infrastructure management
- Understanding of Container security, management, implementation, and orchestration in a cloud environment
- Experience driving innovation across the team and department.
- Application Performance Management (DynaTrace or similar).
- Knowledge of LDAP concepts and experience working with a LDAP Directory.
- Experience with Agile development and release practices.
- ITIL familiarity and experience.