Gravity IT Resources
The IT E-Business Center of Excellence Senior Platform Engineer manages processes and technologies that enable business value by delivering high quality software at speed and scale. This role will focus on creating and maintaining standardized platforms that are built and managed via automation. This Engineer is responsible for the design, configuration, automation implementation, and support of cloud-based web solutions in a global environment. They maintain current or near current levels of software, patches, features, and configurations for the IT systems. They will provide documentation across the multiple environments and cross-trains team members on supported technologies. Primarily, the role supports project teams in delivering new capabilities to our customers. Team members focus on operational excellence, innovation, delivery and organizational learning.
Strategy & Planning
• Support management in the implementation of long-term strategic goals for technologies and related products in conjunction with business requirements.
• Support technology platforms in conjunction with business owners and department managers.
• Work with development staff to implement architectures, tuning/coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
• Assist with the design and implementation of redundant systems, policies, and procedures for backup/recovery, disaster recovery, monitoring, alerting and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
• Assist with the creating of plans for evaluating through implementing new software versions, technology and processes.
• Develop planning efforts for capacity and scalability planning.
• Collaborate with other engineers to align solutions across platforms.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Support Management in ensuring the quality of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
• Implement software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
• Assist with feasibility studies for system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings, where required.
• Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
• Collaborate with analysts, designers, and system owners in the testing of software programs and applications.
• Participate in server lifecycle management.
• Upgrade/migrate technology versions.
• Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
• Assist with the design, engineering, configuration, operation and maintenance of secure and scalable internet/intranet hardware and software infrastructure that serve E-Commerce, CMS and other Enterprise Scale applications
• Document installation and configuration standards of applications and software packages implemented in team’s Knowledge Base.
• Troubleshoot and resolve issues affecting the hardware and software infrastructure.
• Develop and perform automated controlled deployments of digital assets between development, quality assurance and production environments.
• Tune web and application server performance in conjunction with Application Performance Management team.
• Plan and complete projects based on high-level requirements with minimal or no guidance.
• Perform activities in support of a 24×7 global support model for production environments.
• Monitor servers, applications, integrations and websites.
• Assist with disaster planning/mitigation/recovery implementation.
• Assist with various projects as may be required to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
• Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
• Attend meetings with software developers and business users on behalf of team.
• Minimal travel, up to 5% may be required.
• Work outside the standard office 7.5 hour workday may be required.
Formal Education & Certification
• Bachelor Degree or foreign equivalent in related field or equivalent experience.
Knowledge & Experience
• 5+ years IT experience.
• 5+ years of supporting the deployment of applications.
• 3+ years experience with Application Servers or similar installation and performance tuning.
• 2+ years working with web-based architecture and concepts including SSL, Domains, DNS Content delivery networks.
• 2+ Years AWS Cloud Experience
• 2+ years experience with automation and deployment tools (Ruby, Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, Github Actions).
• 2+ years experience building or managing cloud solutions for application implementation.
• Hands on experience working with Kubernetes and container orchestration
• Understand concepts of security related tooling and scanning (Web Application Firewall, SAST, DAST).
• Working knowledge of Apache based Webserver, or Nginx.
• Understanding of DNS, TCP/IP, load balancing and network concepts.
• Understanding and familiarity with linux or *nix operating systems.
• Experience with task automation via scripting.
• Ability to break down work in manageable pieces for more junior team members.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
• Enterprise Content Management System experience.
• Azure, Google, or Other Cloud Experience
• Understanding of Infrastructure as Code approaches to infrastructure management
• Understanding of Container security, management, implementation, and orchestration in a cloud environment
• Ability to drive innovation across the team and department.
• Application Performance Management (DynaTrace or similar).
• Knowledge of LDAP concepts and experience working with a LDAP Directory.
• Experience with Agile development and release practices.
• ITIL familiarity and experience.
• Strong written and oral communications skills.
• Proven ability and initiative to learn and research new concepts, ideas, and technologies quickly.
• Strong systems/process orientation with demonstrated analytical thinking, organization skills and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Ability to quickly pick up new tools and technologies.
• Willingness and ability to train and teach others.
• Ability to facilitate meetings and follow up with resulting action items.
• Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment, and to lead and influence cross-organizationally with and without direct authority.
• Ability to effectively move forward on tasks even with ambiguous or changing requirements.
• Strong commitment to inclusion and diversity.