Gravity IT Resources
Job Title: System Engineer II
Job-Type: 6+ Month – Contract
Employment Eligibility: Gravity cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. (we are open to contract or “corp to corp” agreements).
The Systems Engineer II is heavily involved with identifying, prioritizing, and resolving critical network and systems related issues that impact business operations. Systems include all physical, virtual, web, and other servers and appliances throughout the enterprise. In addition, the Engineer proactively seeks to communicate solutions to network and systems related issues and preferred emerging technologies that can be used to improve the overall health of the company’s information technology platforms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.
- Build, maintain, support, and monitor data networks, servers, applications, and storage appliances based on enterprise and Microsoft-based server and desktop architecture including Azure, Microsoft Server, Citrix, VMware, Terminal Server, SQL server, and SharePoint, all in hybrid physical/virtual and cloud environments.
- Install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems, application software, and system management tools.
- Design and deploy hybrid/cloud-based applications such as Azure storage and database services, Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, Intune, Microsoft 365, and Citrix Storefront & Xen.
- Be accountable for system availability and security, applying deep technical knowledge to efficiently maintain data security systems, backup solutions (Veeam preferred), and high availability design principles.
- Design and maintain systems automation environment (advanced virtual machine management including automated machine deployment through the appropriate tools in VMware).
- Configure and maintain business VoIP telephony systems (CiscoUC).
- Design solutions that efficiently address problems and business needs, and engage and consult with vendor engineers as needed. Work with minimal supervision to assure systems are maintained to meet or exceed performance and availability objectives. Self-manage time to assure that a balance is struck among accomplishing assigned objectives, continuously improving technical knowledge, and maintaining boundaries to allow for personal time.
- Serve as a consultant to the business and IT teams to determine the most appropriate technology solution required for business projects as a subject matter expert in the areas of technology design and support. This role requires the ability to help teammates “dream the dream” and demonstrate innovative thinking in both the design and execution phases of technology infrastructure.
- Provide systems and application support to users who have varying degrees of knowledge with computer systems by communicating effectively and applying your experience.
- Leverage teammates, knowledge bases, technology forums, and vendor support to perform root cause analysis and implement controls to prevent outages.
- Create and maintain technical documentation, end user documentation, and system administration documentation using standard desktop software tools.
- Train others (primarily within the technology area) for the purpose of ensuring their ability to use new and/or existing infrastructure systems and applications throughout the enterprise.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for escalated matters.
EDUCATION: Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree required. Five years of related experience is commensurate to the education required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in systems engineer role preferred.
- Extensive experience with Azure cloud, Windows server, VMware, Citrix, and SAN platforms including deployment, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Extensive experience with computer networks including firewalls, routers, switches, and wireless infrastructure.
- Expertise monitoring, troubleshooting, and supporting complex cloud and on-prem infrastructure systems and network environments.
- Experience with a wide variety of IT systems, cloud, and networking as they relate to the implementation and deployment of new sites, whether they be build-outs or acquisitions.
- Experience with other relevant infrastructure equipment, such as UPS devices, telephony platforms, fiber media converters, etc.
- Extensive experience with Azure Active Directory Services and Identity Management Solutions preferred.
- Deep experience with network appliances (e.g., Fortinet, Extreme Networks, etc.) preferred.
- Prior experience working in a Managed Services environment supporting multiple clients preferred.
LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
- Microsoft certifications and/or other relevant network and systems certification(s) a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency with Microsoft AD Domain, DNS (internal/external), Group Policy, DFS, multi-domain, and multi-forest.
- Proficiency in designing and supporting Azure cloud and on-prem servers and services including Azure subscriptions and infrastructure, on-prem server environments (e.g., ESXi hosts and VMware), among others.
- Supporting network appliances and switches, WANs, SD-WANs, LANs, VLANs, etc.
- Extensive experience with Windows server, VMware, Citrix, and SAN platforms including deployment, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Extensive experience utilizing PowerShell and/or other scripting tools to deploy and support infrastructure.
- Supporting infrastructure requirements and deployments for new buildouts and acquisitions.
- Experience with ServiceNow platform(s) preferred.
- Experience of ITIL foundation and principles preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Independent judgement and decision-making abilities.
- Demonstrable experience with detailed documentation and formal policies and procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Non-patient facing.
- May be either full time remote/telework or rotate working in the office and remote/telework.
- If remote, must be U.S. based; Eastern/Central time zone highly preferred, though Mountain/Pacific also considered.
- Indoor office work.
- Operating computer.
- Lift/carry 21-50 lbs.
- Push/pull 26-40 lbs.
- Sitting; squatting or kneeling; bending.
- Manual dexterity.
- Travel may be required.